Skip to main content

Real Badman Never Afraid... Pop chat

Had a little thing called Ain't Afraid To Say I Like, but as stated previously I didn't really like the title. From this day forth this section is called Real Badman Never Afraid. For the record, I am not a badman like some hoodlum or anything. In this instance, a badman is someone who stands up for himself, kicking down the barriers of stereotype, prejudice and eradicates all division (read that with triumphant music playing in your head and you will get some sick visuals). Too many people in this world front; blare some hardcore gangsta hip-hop or the latest grunky (grime x funky) riddims, but when the windows are up don't be fooled, they are listening to Magic, Heart or Smooth.

Today I will be talking some pop tunes that I've finally caught up on.

N-Dubz - I Need You



Anyone who has asked will know I'm a fan of the N-Dubz and their movement. They are most probably the only act I get excited about but I don't play their songs often or even many of their songs. It's a strange one I know. I'm a fan of them because they are polished with ruff edges, image doesn't seem forced and next-door vibe, have their sound, but most of all they make great SONGS. They know their demographic and the yoof can relate to their subjects of cheating, lust, haters etc. Dappy's singjay style makes for great hooks, Tulisa isn't some Mariah Carey but she can sing & reps the females hard and Fazer balances it with his, erm... yeah. Nah he the producer so he's good and can spit. Thing is, there isn't great science behind what they do, should be standard. Would have signed them (if I was in that line of work).

Sadly, I'm not a fan of this new sound. Hopefully it doesn't reflect their new album because I'll be disappointed. It's a shame because I'm feeling the concept; we've been in that position before where you look through album pics from an event hoping the girl you want is tagged. Real Badman Never Afraid to say I've done that, strayt! Videos big and expensive, but the beat is wack. Sounds like hoppin'. Hopefully they get a number 1 from it.

Alexandra Burke - Bad Boys

For official video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li_nzTVYpk8

(They disabled the embed feature for the official vid. What us bloggers ay?)



I've seen ol' Alex receiving a lot of hate for this tune. Maybe for the fact it doesn't really showcase her powerful vocals and she's black so everyone wants her to be the next (did I say next? I meant first) R&B queen this century (Jamelia, you sexy and all but I don't remember a R&B tune since Money made last century). She's black so she can still win a MOBO. I think this tune is a skankers! They were never going to put her in the studio with R&B elite producers for first single. When her career begins to decline then we'll see. My gripe is featuring Flo-Rida on a tune called Bad Boys. She would have been better off with Bow Wow. Actually I just had a light bulb, maybe she's saying bad as in "Flo-Rida ya sh*t!" bad. That's a reach isn't it? Anyway, Whitney used to make songs like I Wanna Dance With Somebody and How Will I Know. Good pop song I say.

JLS - Everybody in Love official vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlfzNb_WeoA



Once again anyone who knows me knows I felt JLS were better than Alexandra. Another group I would have signed. They got a retro cheesy boyband feel about them. Telling me this song won't have a sell-out arena crowd with their mobile phones aloft waving them? People say "Oh it sounds dated" or "Oh it's cheesy" well isn't that pop? It is to me. 80s & 90s pop were what I call pop, everyone's trying to be serious these days. Leave the authentic people to do what they do, you pop bastads stay doing pop and stop blurring the lines!

I mean could you really take can't dance, can't sing JLS serious singing slow jams or Ballads? Or even slightly credible mid-tempo R&B songs? Look at them for Pete's sake. Go places like Chicago's and see the forwards cheesy songs get. I believe there is a market for it, and it should be filled. FDM (formerly Fund*mental) must be pissed though. Signed to Ne-Yo's Compound, gone with the whole 3-letter thing and bam out comes JLS (Just Lumps of Shit or something). At the end of the day, JLS are black/"urban" so they too can still win a MOBO. 'Llow wanting something credible from them 'cause you'd only cuss them.

Won't include Cheryl Cole. Sexy bad, trying a ting but com'on yur avin a larf!

And you can roll your eyes as much as you like, in fact do it, SMH while you're at it but you can't cuss me for this post, I can't be held accountable for this because the title is a big disclaimer *radio edit* snitchizzzzzz

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marvin Sparks x Raekwon interview

Wu-Tang's in-house "Chef" better known as Raekwon proved he is still a force to be mentioned alongside the hottest rappers in the hip hop game with the release of Only Built For Cuban Linx... pt. II - sequel to his 1995 debut album. Marvin Sparks caught up with the hip hop legend to discuss rapping for drug dealers, people caring "more about stats than raps", his inclusion in MTV's Top 10 Hottest Rappers list, and converting to Islam. Marvin Sparks: It has been almost fifteen years since the first Only Built For Cuban Linx, an album that was a 5-mic classic when The Source magazine held weight. Why did you decide make a sequel?

Why Cheetah Woods, whhyyyy?!?!?!

We must all know about the predator nyamin woman (no bowcat reference intended - or am I lying? *shudders*). Anyone heard the voicemail he left for the girl he's been PARrin (there was a golf reference there) his wife with? Easy now my selekta as we rinse some tunes for di one name Tiger. Man like him doesn't know how to play. (By The Endz not Ruff Sqwad) How you gonna leave a voicemail for a girl with your real name at the beginning? Do you want to be held to ransom? Man from 'the ends' know (in the words of Kano) "That's slippin'!" And when isht hits the fan (like it has) he's buggered. Not something I deal in but surely the point of cheating is for an assortment of ladies. All his ones look the same; blonde, no breast nor batty. Rachel Uchitel bawlin at the scene of 9/11 where her man (fiancee/boyfriend/husband) died The chick whose sold his voicemail on and can be heard above The wifey (why cheat on her with the ones above I'll never kno

Remember When Riddims Were King

Before you read, thank you for your interest and hope you enjoy. I actually fleshed it out into a book. You can get your copy from www.nolongstories.com   Now for what you came here for... When Riddims Were King 23rd May 2020 will be remembered in history for one of the most epic events in one of our universe's darkest times. We will never forget the night dancehall kings and former extremely heated rivals, Beenie Man and Bounty Killer, battled on the Verzuz platform built by hall-of-fame producers, Timbaland and Swizz Beatz. An unfiltered, 360-degree view on Jamaican dancehall events was showcased; DJ’s and dancing (Beenie Man’s daughter Desha Ravers) to deejay’s clashing on the same riddims. The latter elements provided the jewels in the night’s highlight reel, and undoubtedly the best thing to happen on the Verzuz series. Word spread like guava jelly within the dancehall community and Jamaican diaspora upon announcement. Not only was it a clash between the longest and fier