Skip to main content

New Nike World Cup Advert x Flashback Friday

[Shouts to @mrviews aka 1Xtra royalty]

I've been impatiently waiting to see what Nike have to offer for this years World Cup advert. Features appearances from Nike's elite footballers, and a few other special guests. Scheduled to be shown during the Champions League final, which for the first time in my life is on a Saturday. Yes, that plank Platini moved it from its usual Wednesday spot. WASTEMAN!



Incredible!!! I love this! Not for the same reason I loved the classics that you'll see further on in this post. What this lacks in the skills department, it more than makes up for in stroyline, cinematography, comedy, and cameos.

Thought I'd turn this into the first Flashback Friday for the year. I enjoyed those, may pick it back up again. Check out the one I did on 90s adverts here

Not sure if everyone can relate, but to me the star power of footballers has dwindled in comparison to the old days (90's). I'd say that's mainly down to the fact we see most players week in week out on Sky/Virgin, whereas back in the days, we knew them from highlights on Football Italia "GOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLL LAAAAAZIOOO" (don't think he actually said 'Lazio' but it sounded like it), or spoken about upon seeing their stats/performance on Champinship Manager, or before that Sensible World of Soccer on the Amstrad (salute to those who know)! Outside of that, it was World Cup, Euro's, so players had more mystique about them to me. For the younger ones, it's similar to judging young South American footballers on YouTube clips. And perhaps my maturity plus not being in the same playground environment didn't help either. Days of pretending to be my favourite player whilst playing Cup/Wembley or using bags/jumper for goal posts were long gone.

Back in the days, main reason we watched these adverts was to pick out the best skills to practice in the back garden, football pen, park, street, school playground etc. to eventually show off in front of mates and/or the girls.

Here are a few examples



The "roll ball with left foot then step over with right foot" skill the King Ronaldo does at 1:08 was the most replicated from this advert in my areas. If you weren't offended when Black Eyed Peas sampled Mas Que Nada, you probably didn't feel the same way I did about this advert.

This is the first Nike ad I remember, "Au revoir"



But my personal favourite Nike ad has to be this one:



Edgar Davids became playground legend after that one. LOL @ not mastering the 2nd skill he does. Became my party trick. Don't know/remember that being banned.

After that they kind of fell of to me. Yeah they were alright but they lacked the previously extremely high standards they had set previously.

Despite having the likes of Zidane and Beckham, Adidas commercial's were good but not as good; star power, skills or imagination until Impossible is Nothing campaign in my opinion.



See what I mean? Boring!!! Don't know why that was banned either.

Then Impossible is Nothing ad:



Ahh the good old days

Bring on the WORLD CUP!!! I don't know who I'm tipping yet, but Argentina are my dark horse. I know, I know, Maradonna is a nutter, they only just made it through the qualifiers, but I have this strange feeling he'll pull it off. The last strange feeling I had was Arsenal would win the league because I refuse to believe they'd go 5 years without a trophy. We all saw what happened there...

Who you guys tipping?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marvin Sparks x Raekwon interview

Wu-Tang's in-house "Chef" better known as Raekwon proved he is still a force to be mentioned alongside the hottest rappers in the hip hop game with the release of Only Built For Cuban Linx... pt. II - sequel to his 1995 debut album. Marvin Sparks caught up with the hip hop legend to discuss rapping for drug dealers, people caring "more about stats than raps", his inclusion in MTV's Top 10 Hottest Rappers list, and converting to Islam. Marvin Sparks: It has been almost fifteen years since the first Only Built For Cuban Linx, an album that was a 5-mic classic when The Source magazine held weight. Why did you decide make a sequel?

Why Cheetah Woods, whhyyyy?!?!?!

We must all know about the predator nyamin woman (no bowcat reference intended - or am I lying? *shudders*). Anyone heard the voicemail he left for the girl he's been PARrin (there was a golf reference there) his wife with? Easy now my selekta as we rinse some tunes for di one name Tiger. Man like him doesn't know how to play. (By The Endz not Ruff Sqwad) How you gonna leave a voicemail for a girl with your real name at the beginning? Do you want to be held to ransom? Man from 'the ends' know (in the words of Kano) "That's slippin'!" And when isht hits the fan (like it has) he's buggered. Not something I deal in but surely the point of cheating is for an assortment of ladies. All his ones look the same; blonde, no breast nor batty. Rachel Uchitel bawlin at the scene of 9/11 where her man (fiancee/boyfriend/husband) died The chick whose sold his voicemail on and can be heard above The wifey (why cheat on her with the ones above I'll never kno

Remember When Riddims Were King

Before you read, thank you for your interest and hope you enjoy. I actually fleshed it out into a book. You can get your copy from www.nolongstories.com   Now for what you came here for... When Riddims Were King 23rd May 2020 will be remembered in history for one of the most epic events in one of our universe's darkest times. We will never forget the night dancehall kings and former extremely heated rivals, Beenie Man and Bounty Killer, battled on the Verzuz platform built by hall-of-fame producers, Timbaland and Swizz Beatz. An unfiltered, 360-degree view on Jamaican dancehall events was showcased; DJ’s and dancing (Beenie Man’s daughter Desha Ravers) to deejay’s clashing on the same riddims. The latter elements provided the jewels in the night’s highlight reel, and undoubtedly the best thing to happen on the Verzuz series. Word spread like guava jelly within the dancehall community and Jamaican diaspora upon announcement. Not only was it a clash between the longest and fier