Skip to main content

Damian Marley & Nas 'Distant Relatives' review



Alright, alright, I know you probably read the title and thought "That album's old, man. Why you reviewing this?" Well, I know we are in the digital age where yesterday's news is literally yesterday's news, BUT this album, to me, is... well let me tell you why I've waited so long to share my opinion on it. Apart from not having time to write it, I wanted to make sure my review wasn't knee jerk. Let me tell you why I could have got gassed:

Nas was one of the first rappers I would say I was a fan of (bar Will Smith and MC Hammer) along with DMX and LOX. I used to rinse I Am on cassette tape back in the day. I was too young to know/have acquired the first two albums at time of their release. I have since listened and become a fan of both.

Damian Marley won a Grammy for Half Way Tree, but I like most became a fan after Welcome To Jamrock. Who didn't like that song? To this day, the album remains classic to me. In fact, I listened to it 3 times in the week before the release of Distant Relatives.

It's fair to say I had extremely high expectations for this album. To put two of my favourite artists on one album together is like a blessing from the most high. And it was natural, not one born out of a possibility to make money like the Best of Both Worlds project by R. Kelly and Jay-Z. At several points I questioned whether this album would ever see the light of day; how many projects haven't happened? Birdman & Rick Ross, T-Pain & Lil Wayne, Kanye West, Pharrell and Lupe Fiaso aka CRS (was never gonna happen), Tank, Ginuwine and Tyreese aka TGT (shame on all those that believed that one), even Jaheim & Cam'Ron (remember Lord You Know?). Record labels don't take risks these days; an album like this (sold as being about Africa) doesn't fit the criteria of a major label release. I'm sure the bigger heads at labels sit there wondering "Where the bit*hes and ni**as at? We need some more bling and fat asses." The fact it was repeatedly delayed didn't quash these thoughts.

However, as time drew nearer to the May 10th (?) release date, tunes were leaking like crazy over the blogs. So yeah, it seemed like this one was a reality.

You still with me? Good. Regulars know I give chapter and verse. Have to set the scene, "Yah nah mean?"

So boom, bought it from HMV (done know the plug. Set me some goodies! Vouchers will suffice), cracked it open once I got home, dashed it in the laptop, ripped that, injected onto my iPod (done know the plug. I like the iPad still. What you saying, Steve Jobs and fam?).

"Ok, ok Marvin, I have been reading for time and still don't know what you think of the album..." Don't you hate reading about in circles for time, thinking "Any minute now he'll tell me what I came here for." So yeah, wanna know what you think of this album? CLASSIC!!!

It's so deep the only thing I think could have been improved is the placing of my initial favourite song Nah Mean. It's placement next to Patience slightly makes Patience a silent creeper of a track. Nah Mean is sample driven and drums, straight braggadocio hip hop; whereas Patience is slow, heavy bass, and very deep, insightful lyrically ("Some of the smartest dummies can't read the writing of Egyptian mummies" - Damian Marley). I've just realised you can say the versatility of both artists is evidenced in those two tracks side-by-side. Hmm... maybe it was a genius idea

I was asked to name my top 3 songs the other day. It's fair to say I can't. I can narrow it down to Africa Must Wake Up, My Generation, Land of Promise, Strong Will Continue, Count Your Blessings (hope this is second single, festival tune), Patience, Nah Mean, Dispear, In His Own Words as my ultimate favourites that to this day will get repeated. The others all get listened to.

I like the way the two styles compliment each other, the way Junior Gong only does choruses (which, by the way, are as infectious as Athlete's Foot in your local grimey leisure centre on a hot summers day). Damian Marley also crafted some MONSTER beats (no Dr. Dre (notice the double entendre?)). As he said in the video "Nas trusted me with his career", which to me shows the integrity of the man that Nas is, and the state of mind he is in musically in regards to pushing boundaries or what he wants to use his voice for.

Nas' two albums prior to this were Hip Hop Is Dead and Untitled (meant to be Ni**er 'til he backed out). Despite the interesting concepts from the outset, to me, both failed to deliver the message (yes Royal Mail).

My interest in hip-hop as dwindled in recent years, apart from J. Cole's mixtape The Warm Up, I couldn't tell you a hip hop piece of work I've enjoyed since possibly Clipse 'Hell Hath No Fury' in 07. Rick Ross' beats have been awesome though. Nas says "To top it off rappers have become all weird/ As if they are superior and fans are inferior" on In His Own Words, I believe this to be true.

If you don't this album, Nas sums this up in one line on My Generation; "If you can't relate then maybe you are to complacent" followed by "Athlete's are too scared to make Muhammad Ali statements." I would say rappers are too. Oh yeah, Lil Wayne kills his verse on that track.

So yeah, to sum it up, front-to-back classic. I waited this so long, so that I didn't have a knee-jerk reaction. Damian Marley did exactly what I hoped he would do in that he supplied Nas with some great inspiration both conceptually and beats to finally do what Nas should have done in the past 2 efforts. To me, the success of this album can NOT be measured by album sales. An album like this is not likely to be plaque worthy. Touring of this should see them take this to territories Nas dreamt of. They should have been at the opening ceremony for the World Cup.

If you haven't got it, get it, yeah?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marvin Sparks x Raekwon interview

Wu-Tang's in-house "Chef" better known as Raekwon proved he is still a force to be mentioned alongside the hottest rappers in the hip hop game with the release of Only Built For Cuban Linx... pt. II - sequel to his 1995 debut album. Marvin Sparks caught up with the hip hop legend to discuss rapping for drug dealers, people caring "more about stats than raps", his inclusion in MTV's Top 10 Hottest Rappers list, and converting to Islam. Marvin Sparks: It has been almost fifteen years since the first Only Built For Cuban Linx, an album that was a 5-mic classic when The Source magazine held weight. Why did you decide make a sequel?

Why Cheetah Woods, whhyyyy?!?!?!

We must all know about the predator nyamin woman (no bowcat reference intended - or am I lying? *shudders*). Anyone heard the voicemail he left for the girl he's been PARrin (there was a golf reference there) his wife with? Easy now my selekta as we rinse some tunes for di one name Tiger. Man like him doesn't know how to play. (By The Endz not Ruff Sqwad) How you gonna leave a voicemail for a girl with your real name at the beginning? Do you want to be held to ransom? Man from 'the ends' know (in the words of Kano) "That's slippin'!" And when isht hits the fan (like it has) he's buggered. Not something I deal in but surely the point of cheating is for an assortment of ladies. All his ones look the same; blonde, no breast nor batty. Rachel Uchitel bawlin at the scene of 9/11 where her man (fiancee/boyfriend/husband) died The chick whose sold his voicemail on and can be heard above The wifey (why cheat on her with the ones above I'll never kno

Remember When Riddims Were King

Before you read, thank you for your interest and hope you enjoy. I actually fleshed it out into a book. You can get your copy from www.nolongstories.com   Now for what you came here for... When Riddims Were King 23rd May 2020 will be remembered in history for one of the most epic events in one of our universe's darkest times. We will never forget the night dancehall kings and former extremely heated rivals, Beenie Man and Bounty Killer, battled on the Verzuz platform built by hall-of-fame producers, Timbaland and Swizz Beatz. An unfiltered, 360-degree view on Jamaican dancehall events was showcased; DJ’s and dancing (Beenie Man’s daughter Desha Ravers) to deejay’s clashing on the same riddims. The latter elements provided the jewels in the night’s highlight reel, and undoubtedly the best thing to happen on the Verzuz series. Word spread like guava jelly within the dancehall community and Jamaican diaspora upon announcement. Not only was it a clash between the longest and fier