Skip to main content

FlashBack Friday: Film OST

Welcome back to FlashBack Friday; a moment we all take out to reminisce. Well I do, hopefully you enjoy reading it and get that warm fuzzy feeling inside (no Ready Brek).

This post was inspired by the 9th year anniversay of Aaliyah's passing on Wednesday. You'll see where I am going with this in a second. Remember back in the days when they released a BANGER(!!!) of a single to promote a movie? For some strange reason, you felt as if the quality of the track reflected the movie. To be honest, I can't remember feeling like I'd been missold, so it wasn't that inaccurate, I guess.

Well, apart from Robin Hood = Bryan Adams 'Everything I Do, Do It For You', Bodyguard = Whitney "When I COULD sing" Houston 'I Will Always Love You', Titanic = Celine Dion 'My Heart Will Go On'. Big tunes, but I've never watched any of the films in their entirety.

Disclaimer: I'm not a film guy, so if I see a movie is any longer than 120 minutes (UNLESS it's likely to be my kind of movie) I will NOT watch it. Ignorant much? Yeah, so what! Especially as a youth, I'd much rather play Scalelectrix, run-out's, SNES or before that Sensible Soccer/World of Soccer on my Atari/Amiga (on my life I wasn't spoilt, no sarcasm, real talk).

Aaliyah 'Are You That Somebody'. This remains in my top 5 of both Aaliyah songs and Timbaland productions. He sampled a baby for Pete's sake! I was too young to know what she was singing about until a while after. Giving my age away there (them reverse ones). The innocent execution, melody, unusual-yet-infectious beat typical of Timbo back then (then he started making music for his gym play list) etc.

Remember the film?

Eddie Murphy played the lead role. Also had one of my teenhood (I think I made that up. Sounds cool to me) crush's Raven-Symone ("damn, homegirl. High school you was the girl..."). In fact one that became another teenhood crush, Kyla Pratt played Raven's sister. Little did (or does) she know she would overtake her and stay until this very day, but that's another FlashBack Friday.

So yeah the film was Dr Doolittle, 1998. I don't think people liked this film, but I thought it was alright.

Also featured Why I Lie by Ray J

Single chart performance: #1 = US R&B, Dutch & New Zealand. #21 Billboard Hot 100. #11 in UK which was her highest chart position. Won Grammy for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance. Album; 2x Platinum (2 million+)
Film performance: Didn't win anything of note, can't find sales. Sorry



Next up, the Jodeci imitators that actually made good music. Lead by the black chap with blonde hair. Yeah, the unforgettable Sisqo. Him and the other members of Dru Hill 'How Deep Is Your Love' = BANGER!!! Video was deep too. Weren't feeling some of the lyrics though. As a staunch fan of dancehall, I'm sure you can spot which ones.

Martial Arts dude and stunt man Jackie Chan co-starring hilarious high-pitched Chris Tucker. This movie was a lot!

Also featured Can I Get A... by Jay-Z, Amil and Ja Rule, and Faded Pictures by Case and Joe

Song performance: #1 US R&B, #4 US Hot 100. Album: platinum (1 million +)
Film performance: 7th top grossing film of 1998; gross of over $140 million dollars at the U.S. box office.



One of the best OST's has to be Romeo Must Die released in 2000. First single was Try Again = banger. Second single released off it was the Aaliyah & DMX 'Back in One Piece'. Wasn't really a fan of it despite rating both artists. Aaliyah - I Don't Wanna = banger; Aaliyah - Are You Feelin'? = banger; Destiny's Child - Perfect Man = banger! I remember wheeling tracks on the official cassette tape that I swapped with a family friend for a Romeo set on So Solid Sunday on Delight 103FM. Oh how I wish I kept that tape. The punk taped over it with nonsense! Fumin when he gave it back.

Never seen Romeo Must Die in its entirety. I just can't. Never went to the cinema I hate strings so I never got the Jet Li hype and by the time it came on TV Aaliyah wasn't here. More a Jackie Chan fan, he did stunts without strings.

Single performance: #1 US Hot 100, 86 Rolling Stone 100 best songs of the decade, won two MTV Video Music Awards for Best Female Video and Best Video from a Film, nominated for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance at Grammy's. 2 Soul Train Music Award nominations: Best R&B/Soul Single and R&B/Soul or Rap Music Video.
Waddaya know can't find album figures for the one I really needed.
Movie performance: $91,036,760 gross Revenue

Aaliyah - Try Again



Destiny's Child - Perfect Man. Just listened to this again, still bangs. Had to post the audio



And on the flip side, I also rated Destiny's Child Independent Woman (before the OVERKILL), but I never got around to/wasn't interested in watching Charlie's Angels. Never seen Mo' Money but liked 'Best Things in Life Are Free' by Janet Jackson & Luther Vandross (was too young and haven't seen it since), never seen Double Take with Eddie Griffin and one next breh but Stutter by Joe is clasic. Didn't realise it was for a film 'til a while after. I realised the video used bits of the film.

Can't think of any others right now. On that note; 'til next time.

Catch up on previous episodes here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marvin Sparks x Raekwon interview

Wu-Tang's in-house "Chef" better known as Raekwon proved he is still a force to be mentioned alongside the hottest rappers in the hip hop game with the release of Only Built For Cuban Linx... pt. II - sequel to his 1995 debut album. Marvin Sparks caught up with the hip hop legend to discuss rapping for drug dealers, people caring "more about stats than raps", his inclusion in MTV's Top 10 Hottest Rappers list, and converting to Islam. Marvin Sparks: It has been almost fifteen years since the first Only Built For Cuban Linx, an album that was a 5-mic classic when The Source magazine held weight. Why did you decide make a sequel?

Why Cheetah Woods, whhyyyy?!?!?!

We must all know about the predator nyamin woman (no bowcat reference intended - or am I lying? *shudders*). Anyone heard the voicemail he left for the girl he's been PARrin (there was a golf reference there) his wife with? Easy now my selekta as we rinse some tunes for di one name Tiger. Man like him doesn't know how to play. (By The Endz not Ruff Sqwad) How you gonna leave a voicemail for a girl with your real name at the beginning? Do you want to be held to ransom? Man from 'the ends' know (in the words of Kano) "That's slippin'!" And when isht hits the fan (like it has) he's buggered. Not something I deal in but surely the point of cheating is for an assortment of ladies. All his ones look the same; blonde, no breast nor batty. Rachel Uchitel bawlin at the scene of 9/11 where her man (fiancee/boyfriend/husband) died The chick whose sold his voicemail on and can be heard above The wifey (why cheat on her with the ones above I'll never kno

Remember When Riddims Were King

Before you read, thank you for your interest and hope you enjoy. I actually fleshed it out into a book. You can get your copy from www.nolongstories.com   Now for what you came here for... When Riddims Were King 23rd May 2020 will be remembered in history for one of the most epic events in one of our universe's darkest times. We will never forget the night dancehall kings and former extremely heated rivals, Beenie Man and Bounty Killer, battled on the Verzuz platform built by hall-of-fame producers, Timbaland and Swizz Beatz. An unfiltered, 360-degree view on Jamaican dancehall events was showcased; DJ’s and dancing (Beenie Man’s daughter Desha Ravers) to deejay’s clashing on the same riddims. The latter elements provided the jewels in the night’s highlight reel, and undoubtedly the best thing to happen on the Verzuz series. Word spread like guava jelly within the dancehall community and Jamaican diaspora upon announcement. Not only was it a clash between the longest and fier