Skip to main content

Speak in slang this!

"You get me? Bredrin? Brudda? We speak in slang like this"



I decided against posting this in the random thoughts of the day because I didn't want to, basically. Don't you love gramatical incorrectness. As it is a post about slang I feel I can whatever and however I like to prove my point. Like I could of tried to display my poshness to help those who only want things written correctly, except that wouldn't be any fun innit. Appreciate that I boverd to use apostrophe's

Anyway to the point, slang. This post was inspired by a bunch of 70s babies discussing their dislike for slang on last week's Bloggers Delight (yeah that's my team!).

FinalOct6th by nicolette

As I wasn't on that panel this is my space (no MySpace) to act like I was. Some people don't mind it, many hate it and that's cool. I think I'm in the minority that actually love it! I love keeping up with the latest slang words to throw into everyday conversations with my peers. It feels like a freedom of expression and one that me, my generation and culture can say is us/ours. Whether the words are inherited from Jamaica, USA, cockney or wherever (I'm sure they come from the three I named bar a few words), they're what we use. We meaning my generation/culture in London.

Some of those on the panel think its immature and I've heard that argument from others too. In fact, I just remembered I had this conversation with my bredrins the other day. I wholeheartedly disagree with that. At the end of the day speaking is verbal communication, communication is all about being understood. If I'm speaking slang to someone that understands it what's the problem? If you can conduct yourself correctly to people that don't understand slang then, again I ask, what's the problem? Age isn't nor should it be an issue. There's a time and place for everything. Know when to "(hop up out the beehhhhhhddd) turn your slang on" and off.

My opinion may stem from the fact my parents are Jamaican, I go to Jamaica every year and each time there are new words/phrases in Jamaican patois. Slang changes all the time, similar to fashion in a sense. Slang isn't as bad as people make out either, look how many slang word make it into the Oxford dictionary? Bling-bling is in the dictionary now. Once upon a time it was slang popularised/created by rappers Cash Money, now it's cool for middle-aged white women on fashion shows to use it in regular convo. Some English words don't capture the same feeling or emotion as slang words. Take "par" for example; if a girl reject a males advances in an absolutely disgraceful manor saying "Poor chap, she rejected your attempt at courting there" isn't half as effective as "Pahahahahaha you got PAR'D!" is it?

On the flip, if you, like Marvyn, work in an environment where slang is acceptable, is it wrong to speak it then? I take what Miss Lala said about kids thinking its uncool to speak proply. As my mum said "Learn fi speak proper inglish before you tek up dat out a road talk deh" which in itself is quite ironic. But the sentiments are correct. For that reason I managed to balance the two. Some of the Tweeting I see is shocking. I'm sure kids in "developing" countries speak better English. This isn't as simple as not being able to differentiate your, you're or they're, their, there, I'm talking dudes sentences not even making sense coupled with shocking spelling mistakes.

What really irks me, however, are those that misunderstand and change meanings unintentionally. Por ejemplo deyah = "here" NOT "there". Shotta = "gunman" NOT "drug dealer/hustler". And "swagger" isn't slang so why are people surprised when journos/commo's say it?

Finally, if anyone corrupted/corrupting "our" English language, it is Americans. Why don't they spell or pronounce a lot of things the same way we do? At least we are taught "proper English".

Moral of the story: kids, learn English first. FAO anti-slang gang: there isn't any harm in disliking it, just don't look down on others that speak it. We are indifferent on you stush people.

Even this BBC journo recognises it isn't all bad

My favourite slang words:

Peng = nice looking female/nice marijuana (UK word as far as I know)
Ends = area (contrary to the ownership of Brits, I'm sure this is a Jamaican word)

The worst slang words:

Nang = good (urghk east London word)
Gash = female (dunno where from)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marvin Sparks x Raekwon interview

Wu-Tang's in-house "Chef" better known as Raekwon proved he is still a force to be mentioned alongside the hottest rappers in the hip hop game with the release of Only Built For Cuban Linx... pt. II - sequel to his 1995 debut album. Marvin Sparks caught up with the hip hop legend to discuss rapping for drug dealers, people caring "more about stats than raps", his inclusion in MTV's Top 10 Hottest Rappers list, and converting to Islam. Marvin Sparks: It has been almost fifteen years since the first Only Built For Cuban Linx, an album that was a 5-mic classic when The Source magazine held weight. Why did you decide make a sequel?

Why Cheetah Woods, whhyyyy?!?!?!

We must all know about the predator nyamin woman (no bowcat reference intended - or am I lying? *shudders*). Anyone heard the voicemail he left for the girl he's been PARrin (there was a golf reference there) his wife with? Easy now my selekta as we rinse some tunes for di one name Tiger. Man like him doesn't know how to play. (By The Endz not Ruff Sqwad) How you gonna leave a voicemail for a girl with your real name at the beginning? Do you want to be held to ransom? Man from 'the ends' know (in the words of Kano) "That's slippin'!" And when isht hits the fan (like it has) he's buggered. Not something I deal in but surely the point of cheating is for an assortment of ladies. All his ones look the same; blonde, no breast nor batty. Rachel Uchitel bawlin at the scene of 9/11 where her man (fiancee/boyfriend/husband) died The chick whose sold his voicemail on and can be heard above The wifey (why cheat on her with the ones above I'll never kno

Remember When Riddims Were King

Before you read, thank you for your interest and hope you enjoy. I actually fleshed it out into a book. You can get your copy from www.nolongstories.com   Now for what you came here for... When Riddims Were King 23rd May 2020 will be remembered in history for one of the most epic events in one of our universe's darkest times. We will never forget the night dancehall kings and former extremely heated rivals, Beenie Man and Bounty Killer, battled on the Verzuz platform built by hall-of-fame producers, Timbaland and Swizz Beatz. An unfiltered, 360-degree view on Jamaican dancehall events was showcased; DJ’s and dancing (Beenie Man’s daughter Desha Ravers) to deejay’s clashing on the same riddims. The latter elements provided the jewels in the night’s highlight reel, and undoubtedly the best thing to happen on the Verzuz series. Word spread like guava jelly within the dancehall community and Jamaican diaspora upon announcement. Not only was it a clash between the longest and fier