Skip to main content

The year that was 2010

So here we are, last day of the year 2010. First off twenty-eleven sounds butters, nor is it aesthetically pleasing.

I don't really do reviews. Previews di ting deh (I prefer writing previews/predictions) 'cos "mi nuh look back, straight front or forward me say", but I thought it's only right.

So I'll start with fact that I went from nothing to something this year. Started off writing for nobody to MTV.co.uk/TheWrapUp, www.flavourmag.co.uk & www.SoulCulture.co.uk, on the Bloggers Delight fam and my own blog has been a trendsetter in a few ways. My MeViews and TweeteReviews (formerly TweetView - changed it for Google purposes) have taken off in particular Damian Marley and Nas concert, MOBO Awards 2010 and XFactor ones have received nuff attention.

Out of my many random ramblings, I got quoted on BBC website and received emails from people at 1Xtra congratulating me on my blog and recommendations. I don't really brag about controversy, that's so 2009, if it has come my way, I've forgotten about it.

Here are (some of) the blog posts I'm most proud of:

My top 5 tunes for the summer

All of these were on Robbo Ranx's top 5 dancehall chart. On two occassions the chart was filled by 5 of the 6. Included in this are the two biggest dancehall hits of 2010 in Vybz Kartel's Clarks and Gyptian's Hold You. Both featured on my blog before they were even being played in clubs. You may also be interested in this post.

Damian Marley & NaS Distant Relatives concert MeView

Type "damian marley nas concert" into Google and this is the 7th result, 2nd highest ranked review. I coined the term "MeView" (an in-depth review through my eyes) when I wrote this. I wrote this on the plane to Jamaica due to requests from followers, namely @PurpleRamblings. My favourite concert of the year. Think I got that across in the MeView.

MOBO Awards 2010 MeView + TweetView

Another first for me. What started out as a MeView turned into an innovative and popular TweeteReview made up of copy and pasted my timeline's reaction to the always controversial MOBO Awards. With MeView's you only get my opinion. Through the TweetView you see everyone's reactions to the show. This is one of my favourite posts in the year and a bit that I've been blogging. Absolute stone cold classic post. Yeah, I said it. Shouts to SoulCulture for blogging it too.

Labrinth 'Let The Sun Shine' (+ prediction that two other singles will fail)


I like this post for two reasons, hate it for one. First reason I love it? Quoted on BBC, but the thing I hate about it is "Marvin Sparks says: "If this doesn't hit number 1, I'll... be very surprised." Tinie Tempah released a single the same week so that messed things up. 2nd thing I like is I was right that the other two artists, Loick Essien and Talay Riley, should have avoided releasing around that time or face chart failure. Despite reasonably good songs (more Loick), they didn't reach top 40. I also mentioned that Tinie Tempah will take Tinchy Stryder's fans and that Tinie pushed the game on from the song Tinchy did with Taio Cruz. Tinchy's single didn't do well, not sure about the album sales.

Another post I did nicely was the dubstep over funky when Katy B released the video for top 5 single here

MiRecommend: Ed Sheeran

Finally, everyone is doing who to look out for in 2011. As I mentioned earlier: "I don't really do reviews, previews di ting deh (I do previews)". Ed Sheeran is a singer I blogged about in April as someone I recommend. He is the main person I shall carry on endorsing for 2011. Collabs EP drops on January 9th. I shall be copping.

And if you wanna hear 90% of my favourite dancehall tunes, download this here mix. As I said, I don't do review, straight preview. I made this a bit ago but it has most of the tunes you'll need to hear, mix and blend precisely.

For another kinda wrap up post, read this. It details my writing/interview game for 2010.

And all my FlashBack Friday's. Must continue to do more in 2011

My highlights of 2010 are:

Interviewing my favourite rapper (J. Cole), favourite grime MC (Devlin), witnessing Bounty Killer and Beenie Man surprise performance together just after Killer dissed him (they've gone on to do it at least three times), partying during a thunderstorm at Wet 'n' Wild in Negril, Jamaica (big up Elephant Man and Aidonia going around with water pistols, Stephen 'Di Genius' McGregor, Tony Matterhorn, Coppershot... party shot!), Street Vybz Thursday on the 29/7/2010 (ZJ Rush absolutely spazzed out that night), going to 2 of my favourite producers studios, witnessing one of my favourite riddims for the year get built (mad lucky), being in very small company of those to interview both Vybz Kartel and Mavado (did I let that out?), reggae's biggest export this year Gyptian and last year Serani, UK reggae's finest Gappy Ranks (and having the interview included in his press release), being the first journo to have a full in-depth interview "Wha' gwaan Popcaan?". Witnessing that explode over the net during my holiday in Jamaica was great. Jamaica in 2010 was possibly my favourite time ever. Loved it! Been there 11 times, yet still found new things to do.

Thanks to MTV Wrap Up, Soul Culture and Flavour Magazine for giving homes to my interviews. Thanks to everyone that has taken the time out to click any of my links. Thanks to all of you currently reading and staying with me through my weird ramblings. Thanks to all my followers on Twitter. Big up everyone that has faith in me, wishes me well and encourages me through Twitter and personally. Thanks to you all.

Happy New Year from all of us (just I) at Marvin Sparks dot blog spot dot com.

Comments

  1. I like most your top5 tune for summer and it has very interesting information thanks for sharing with us.

    Cervical Collars India

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Marvin Sparks x Raekwon interview

Wu-Tang's in-house "Chef" better known as Raekwon proved he is still a force to be mentioned alongside the hottest rappers in the hip hop game with the release of Only Built For Cuban Linx... pt. II - sequel to his 1995 debut album. Marvin Sparks caught up with the hip hop legend to discuss rapping for drug dealers, people caring "more about stats than raps", his inclusion in MTV's Top 10 Hottest Rappers list, and converting to Islam. Marvin Sparks: It has been almost fifteen years since the first Only Built For Cuban Linx, an album that was a 5-mic classic when The Source magazine held weight. Why did you decide make a sequel?

Why Cheetah Woods, whhyyyy?!?!?!

We must all know about the predator nyamin woman (no bowcat reference intended - or am I lying? *shudders*). Anyone heard the voicemail he left for the girl he's been PARrin (there was a golf reference there) his wife with? Easy now my selekta as we rinse some tunes for di one name Tiger. Man like him doesn't know how to play. (By The Endz not Ruff Sqwad) How you gonna leave a voicemail for a girl with your real name at the beginning? Do you want to be held to ransom? Man from 'the ends' know (in the words of Kano) "That's slippin'!" And when isht hits the fan (like it has) he's buggered. Not something I deal in but surely the point of cheating is for an assortment of ladies. All his ones look the same; blonde, no breast nor batty. Rachel Uchitel bawlin at the scene of 9/11 where her man (fiancee/boyfriend/husband) died The chick whose sold his voicemail on and can be heard above The wifey (why cheat on her with the ones above I'll never kno

Remember When Riddims Were King

Before you read, thank you for your interest and hope you enjoy. I actually fleshed it out into a book. You can get your copy from www.nolongstories.com   Now for what you came here for... When Riddims Were King 23rd May 2020 will be remembered in history for one of the most epic events in one of our universe's darkest times. We will never forget the night dancehall kings and former extremely heated rivals, Beenie Man and Bounty Killer, battled on the Verzuz platform built by hall-of-fame producers, Timbaland and Swizz Beatz. An unfiltered, 360-degree view on Jamaican dancehall events was showcased; DJ’s and dancing (Beenie Man’s daughter Desha Ravers) to deejay’s clashing on the same riddims. The latter elements provided the jewels in the night’s highlight reel, and undoubtedly the best thing to happen on the Verzuz series. Word spread like guava jelly within the dancehall community and Jamaican diaspora upon announcement. Not only was it a clash between the longest and fier