Skip to main content

Flashback Friday: Forgotten Gems pt II

FlashBack Friday (click for previous episodes)

Today's a singers special because I've been listening to a lot of r&b recently. There's a particular album that has sparked this off, but that will be revealed in two weeks. And I've been in a Rodney Jerkins/Timbaland phase.

If you missed part I check here Forgotten Gems. It's where I share some songs that I'd forgotten about. Some you may know, others you may not. I think you'll appreciate every song 'cos my taste is that of a person that tastes expensive wine.

One song that has been on the receiving a lot of spins is Jennifer Lopez 'If You Had My Love'. Sparked by this quote "‘U Don’t Know Me (Like You Used To)’ acted more like an album filler to me, however did have good points, in particular the drum production was rather hard hitting. It possibly acted as the precursor to Jennifer Lopez’s ‘If You Had My Love,’ which is probably why I didn’t really like it too much." from a review of Brandy's Never Say Never from the Return The Classics series over at Soul Culture. For the record, U Don't Know Me is actually a banger.

(re: Return To The Classics - check the Dru Hill - Enter The Dru and D'Angelo - Brown Sugar ones for an insight from people that help craft it. Siiiiiiiiiiick)

I forgot how good this song is. We all know JLo was a r&b fraud. I think I hated everything she did after this song including 'Love Don't Cost A Thing', but excluding 'I'm Real' with Ja Rule and 'All My Love' with LL Cool J. Remember the 'Jenny From The Block'? The sample? Her "still Jenny from the block"? She really thought I'd fall for that nonsense? Ashanti ended her reign. Plus, I realised I'd been conned into believing she was extremely hot. I've seen her. She ain't thaaat great.

But yeah, Jennifer Lopez - If You Had My Love



p.s. Those black and silver TNs during the dance break. OMG!

Karen Clark Sheard feat. Missy Elliott, Yolanda Adams, Kim Burrell, Dorinda Clark Cola, Mary Mary & Tweet - Higher Ground

This used to get a lot of rotation on pirate radio. I came across this on Missy Elliott's 3rd album Miss E... So Addictive (the one with Get Ur Freak On). You had to let the last track run for about 7mins of silence. Not sure how big this song was in the Gospel circles, but damn, this is a tune. Looking at the all star line-up, this is the gospel equivalent to Kanye West's All Of The Lights lol



Justin Timberlake - Worthy Of

Another bonus track, this time lifted from JT's classic Justified released in 2003. Yes, that album is classic. Not sure why it was a bonus track. Bonus tracks were usually placed on something else like a Movie OST (Original SoundTrack for future reference).

Not sure if this is a forgotten gem or an underrated gem. Shows Timberlake's human side, dealing with insecurity. Maybe they just wanna hear him on about pulling birds (getting ladies). Maybe that's why it was a bonus track.



Yasmeen - Blue Jeans

Worthy Of reminded me of this tune. There's a similar sound in both of them. Don't ask me what 'cos I can't put my finger on it, but in my head there is a similarity. This is a tune! Released in 2002 but no info on chart history

On a separate note, what the hell happened to Jazze Pha? Ciara neeeeds you!!!



Nicole Renee - Strawberries

15k views on YouTube with an out-of-sync video uploaded by a fan epitomises forgotten gem. I spent a good chunk of this week playing Craig David's Born To Do It. They sampled this song for Last Night.



Latrelle - House Party

Think this was released in 2002. Heard this on DJ Swerve's Tuesday show on Kiss 100. One of my favourite Neptunes r&b productions. Official video is unembeddable (I made that word up) so click here

Fundisha - Live The Life

Oh my days, I'm going in today. I was fully on r&b '98-'02. Greatest period of r&b in my timeline. Older people born in the earlier part of the 80s prefer hip hop/soul or new jack. Don't get me wrong, I rate them times highly too, but to me, this is my favourite era.

But back on track, I really liked her voice a lot. I think she was signed by Jermaine Dupri



Last one for today,

Olivia - Bizounce

Remember Oliver as The Game called her. He killed her career before it even started. This song was recorded before she signed with G-Unit, but regularly spun on pirate radio over here in London.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marvin Sparks x Raekwon interview

Wu-Tang's in-house "Chef" better known as Raekwon proved he is still a force to be mentioned alongside the hottest rappers in the hip hop game with the release of Only Built For Cuban Linx... pt. II - sequel to his 1995 debut album. Marvin Sparks caught up with the hip hop legend to discuss rapping for drug dealers, people caring "more about stats than raps", his inclusion in MTV's Top 10 Hottest Rappers list, and converting to Islam. Marvin Sparks: It has been almost fifteen years since the first Only Built For Cuban Linx, an album that was a 5-mic classic when The Source magazine held weight. Why did you decide make a sequel?

Why Cheetah Woods, whhyyyy?!?!?!

We must all know about the predator nyamin woman (no bowcat reference intended - or am I lying? *shudders*). Anyone heard the voicemail he left for the girl he's been PARrin (there was a golf reference there) his wife with? Easy now my selekta as we rinse some tunes for di one name Tiger. Man like him doesn't know how to play. (By The Endz not Ruff Sqwad) How you gonna leave a voicemail for a girl with your real name at the beginning? Do you want to be held to ransom? Man from 'the ends' know (in the words of Kano) "That's slippin'!" And when isht hits the fan (like it has) he's buggered. Not something I deal in but surely the point of cheating is for an assortment of ladies. All his ones look the same; blonde, no breast nor batty. Rachel Uchitel bawlin at the scene of 9/11 where her man (fiancee/boyfriend/husband) died The chick whose sold his voicemail on and can be heard above The wifey (why cheat on her with the ones above I'll never kno

Remember When Riddims Were King

Before you read, thank you for your interest and hope you enjoy. I actually fleshed it out into a book. You can get your copy from www.nolongstories.com   Now for what you came here for... When Riddims Were King 23rd May 2020 will be remembered in history for one of the most epic events in one of our universe's darkest times. We will never forget the night dancehall kings and former extremely heated rivals, Beenie Man and Bounty Killer, battled on the Verzuz platform built by hall-of-fame producers, Timbaland and Swizz Beatz. An unfiltered, 360-degree view on Jamaican dancehall events was showcased; DJ’s and dancing (Beenie Man’s daughter Desha Ravers) to deejay’s clashing on the same riddims. The latter elements provided the jewels in the night’s highlight reel, and undoubtedly the best thing to happen on the Verzuz series. Word spread like guava jelly within the dancehall community and Jamaican diaspora upon announcement. Not only was it a clash between the longest and fier