Skip to main content

Bob Marley Tribute by Marcia Griffiths - Marvin Sparks exclusive

Marcia Griffiths (far right) is a well-known and established reggae legend in her own right commonly referred to as the Queen of Reggae. She began her career as a solo singer, scored a British top 5 with "Young, Gifted and Black" alongside Bob Andy before becoming 1/3 of the I-Threes a.k.a. Bob Marley's backing vocalists, or his three little birds as he preferred to call them. The Wailers were renamed Bob Marley & The Wailers when Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer left and replaced with the I-Threes, recorded what became the transitional album Natty Dread which featured Bob Marley's breakout international hit "No Woman, No Cry" and the rest as they say is history. Well, we are talking Bob Marley where it has become legend.

Marvin Sparks had the pleasure of speaking to Marcia Griffiths to celebrate the 30th anniversary Bob Marley's passing. Marcia recalls her first time meeting Bob Marley at the legendary Studio One, how Bob kept a watchful eye over the females such as her 11 year-old self so they didn't stray and experiencing nerves during their first collaboration. "I started out as a solo artist in 1964. I performed on stage with Byron Lee and the Dragonaires for the very first time on Easter Monday morning 1964 and the very same day I was taken down to Studio One. Of course, you know Studio One is Jamaica’s Motown. All of the great artists, that’s where we all graduated. When I went there I was 11, going to be 12 in November and when I went there that day I met Bob Marley and Peter Tosh. I knew Bunny Wailer from before because we went to Kindergarten school together. All the great entertainers were there; Ken Boothe, The Heptones... That’s how I started out, as a solo singer. I started recording the first day I went there. The first song I recorded was the 'Wall of Love'.

"All three brothers – Bob [Marley], Peter [Tosh] and Bunny [Wailer] – were three militant, revolutionary type of guys. They were serious and as a young girl going into a male dominated industry – I met sister Rita [Marley] there too as well. I was brought up very strict, so even to be going there like I’m working was something that was not allowed by my parents. I was very, very sceptical of certain environments because of how I was raised. Being in a male dominated business, I remember Bob Marley always had his eye on females. You had to make sure you walked in a straight line. If you slip, you know that his eyes are watching you. All three were like that, especially Bunny, but Bob and Bunny were very serious when it comes to – they didn’t want to see any girls being loose or careless, so you were forced to walk on a straight and narrow line, because their eyes were always watching you.

"I thought he was so militant and he was one of the persons that Mr. Dodd allowed me to do combinations with, because at the time, he was seeking so badly for a hit song from me because he was overwhelmed with my talent. He had me doing combinations with people like Tony Gregory, Bob Andy, Owen Boyce, including Bob Marley. Bob Marley wrote this song, a love song for both of us called “Oh My Darling” which we recorded. Even to record a song with him, I was very nervous - it was so good when he broke the ice and started joking around with me. Even in that recording you will hear me say in the beginning 'Cha man!' because he was teasing me and he kept it on the recording. That was a very nice experience when I recorded that song with Bob because I thought he was so talented. Even at that time, they had songs bubbling on the charts, so that was my little experience when I went there – meeting all those great entertainers. I was 11, I was going to be 12 in November."



Almost ten years later, in 1973, Marcia formed the I-Threes. Bob Marley selected them (Marcia along with Judy Mowatt and Bob's wife Rita Marley) to replace founding members of The Wailers, Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer. "I met Rita from Studio One days, but Judy never started singing as yet.

Continue reading http://www.soulculture.co.uk/features/interviews/marcia-griffiths-bob-marley-and-i-interview/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marvin Sparks x Raekwon interview

Wu-Tang's in-house "Chef" better known as Raekwon proved he is still a force to be mentioned alongside the hottest rappers in the hip hop game with the release of Only Built For Cuban Linx... pt. II - sequel to his 1995 debut album. Marvin Sparks caught up with the hip hop legend to discuss rapping for drug dealers, people caring "more about stats than raps", his inclusion in MTV's Top 10 Hottest Rappers list, and converting to Islam. Marvin Sparks: It has been almost fifteen years since the first Only Built For Cuban Linx, an album that was a 5-mic classic when The Source magazine held weight. Why did you decide make a sequel?

Why Cheetah Woods, whhyyyy?!?!?!

We must all know about the predator nyamin woman (no bowcat reference intended - or am I lying? *shudders*). Anyone heard the voicemail he left for the girl he's been PARrin (there was a golf reference there) his wife with? Easy now my selekta as we rinse some tunes for di one name Tiger. Man like him doesn't know how to play. (By The Endz not Ruff Sqwad) How you gonna leave a voicemail for a girl with your real name at the beginning? Do you want to be held to ransom? Man from 'the ends' know (in the words of Kano) "That's slippin'!" And when isht hits the fan (like it has) he's buggered. Not something I deal in but surely the point of cheating is for an assortment of ladies. All his ones look the same; blonde, no breast nor batty. Rachel Uchitel bawlin at the scene of 9/11 where her man (fiancee/boyfriend/husband) died The chick whose sold his voicemail on and can be heard above The wifey (why cheat on her with the ones above I'll never kno

Remember When Riddims Were King

Before you read, thank you for your interest and hope you enjoy. I actually fleshed it out into a book. You can get your copy from www.nolongstories.com   Now for what you came here for... When Riddims Were King 23rd May 2020 will be remembered in history for one of the most epic events in one of our universe's darkest times. We will never forget the night dancehall kings and former extremely heated rivals, Beenie Man and Bounty Killer, battled on the Verzuz platform built by hall-of-fame producers, Timbaland and Swizz Beatz. An unfiltered, 360-degree view on Jamaican dancehall events was showcased; DJ’s and dancing (Beenie Man’s daughter Desha Ravers) to deejay’s clashing on the same riddims. The latter elements provided the jewels in the night’s highlight reel, and undoubtedly the best thing to happen on the Verzuz series. Word spread like guava jelly within the dancehall community and Jamaican diaspora upon announcement. Not only was it a clash between the longest and fier