Skip to main content

FlashBack Friday: Soca/Calypso Gems

Hey guys and gals, I'm back with the fourth episode of the popular series FlashBack Friday (click for previous episodes) for the year like 2011. I love doing these posts as I get to relive a time when life was all about not doing homework, watching cartoons, asking mum and dad for toys and what I would be when I grew up.

I've decided I'm doing a post dedicated to soca songs I like. Don't even remember how the subject came up in my head to be fair. I tweeted the first song (below), then was about to embark on filling up my followers timelines, but that's inconsiderate. I then thought it may be better to do it for Notting Hill Carnival weekend, before realising rapture could happen before so I won't be able to. Another thing I won't do is post the 6 soca songs I hear every time I go out. Krosfyah - Pump Me Up, Dollar Wine, Follow The Leader, Tempted To Touch, Square One - Faluma etc. Kevin Lyttle "Turn Me On" ,the most popular soca song of the last decade, was sold like it was a dancehall song. Levels. Only kidding (not really, but it isn't what we are here for).

It always confuses me that DJs play the same songs every one else does. I'd challenge myself to think out of the box. Saying that, I'm the type of guy that wouldn't/doesn't buy trainers/footwear I've seen someone else wearing. Somewhere in there is a logical explanation as to why I don't follow crowds.

I may go on and on about reggae and dancehall, to a somewhat tiresome/roll eyes level sometimes. If I cared, I'd care more, but I don't. So I won't stop... 'cos I can't stop (couldn't resist the little Puffy/Diddyism). In reality, I listen to and love all types of music. I just love music. There are three genres; good music, bad music and inspired by/rip-off dancehall and reggae.

None of these are obscure songs. Well they shouldn't be to any Caribbean that was old enough to do the running man to MC Hammer when it was in the charts or Bogle to Buju Banton's "Bogle" when it was fresh.

Anslem Douglas - "Doggie (Who Let The Dogs Out?)"

Although I don't know why it crossed my mind but the song that inspired this topic today is the original "Who Let The Dogs Out?" popularised by Baha Men. To this day I don't know who they are or how they came to record the song. Guess they found three random young looking "islands" men to sing it. Anslem Douglas looks a bit old and Anslem isn't the youngest of names.

Like the aforementioned Kevin Lyttle song, this song killed carnival for a few years prior to major label release. I think Anslem's "Doggie" was the biggest song at '98 carnival. I'm sure it was a big song for a few years. Sounds like African music.



Square One - Turn It Around

This song reminds me of family parties in late '90s. What a vibe. Allison Hinds was part of this group. When UK funky has this type of feel/drum pattern I can't help skankin' out.



Burning Flames - Swinging Engine

I didn't know the name of this song for ages. I searched and kept saying to people (namely my Bajan friend @missjaylouise) "Ringing Engine". You can imagine my disappointment when I found I was so close.

This is a hype. It mek me juss waan march dong di row'd, guy (in Bajan/Trini etc., accent).



TC - Wrong Name (Kim)

I lied about not putting any of the obvious songs I hear every week. This is one of my favourite soca songs. Her feisty attitude is winning. Someone in the pop world should copy this concept. Re-work the lyrics because of the obvious islands sentence structure.

"Tink he can tek me for a royde, well I putting he tings outsoyde" @ 2:40 cracks me up



Lord Kitchener - Gimme D Ting (Doctor Order Me)

I played this song on repeat, on vinyl back in the day. It was my favourite calypso song at the time. Still remember the black and white sleeve. Not sure what year this is from. I'm guessing 70s.

The video contains a loose biography. Not sure how accurate it is. I never read it. But I do know he came to England on the Windrush. Well, everyone who knows something about him and Windrush should know that.



Byron Lee & The Dragonaires - Ragga Ragga

This will make you wanna whine a woman right now. Or perv. Just watch those women that can whine their bottom half alone while their bottom circles like the time ticks on a clock.

p.s. I'm not sure if this is the original. It sounds re-done to me.



Crazy - Nani Wine

Song reminds me of my god mother's mum (RIP). Her and her husband whining to the floor at a house party in the early 90s. She would've been in her 50's



Lord Kitchener - Sugar Bum Bum

My all-time favourite calypso song by far. There came a point in life when I went to my parents friends parties hoping to hear this song. I still go out to that age group's parties anticipating the... I don't even know what sound that is at the beginning. One of the main songs I wanted but never learnt on steel drums. I envied every single steel band that could play this. I wanna push over a pan if a hear it at Notting Hill Carnival. I don't but I wanna.



Hopefully, this post will help some of the DJs that stand in the dance copying other DJs playlists on to their BlackBerry/iPhone notes will have some idea of other songs you can play. And that isn't a theory, DJs do watch over a next mans shoulder to see what he played then illegally download it. That's why they all play the same songs from yesteryear. If you've ever wondered about how many years and big songs there have been in our generation, yet DJs play the same old ones, there's your answer.

That's my good deed for the day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marvin Sparks x Raekwon interview

Wu-Tang's in-house "Chef" better known as Raekwon proved he is still a force to be mentioned alongside the hottest rappers in the hip hop game with the release of Only Built For Cuban Linx... pt. II - sequel to his 1995 debut album. Marvin Sparks caught up with the hip hop legend to discuss rapping for drug dealers, people caring "more about stats than raps", his inclusion in MTV's Top 10 Hottest Rappers list, and converting to Islam. Marvin Sparks: It has been almost fifteen years since the first Only Built For Cuban Linx, an album that was a 5-mic classic when The Source magazine held weight. Why did you decide make a sequel?

Why Cheetah Woods, whhyyyy?!?!?!

We must all know about the predator nyamin woman (no bowcat reference intended - or am I lying? *shudders*). Anyone heard the voicemail he left for the girl he's been PARrin (there was a golf reference there) his wife with? Easy now my selekta as we rinse some tunes for di one name Tiger. Man like him doesn't know how to play. (By The Endz not Ruff Sqwad) How you gonna leave a voicemail for a girl with your real name at the beginning? Do you want to be held to ransom? Man from 'the ends' know (in the words of Kano) "That's slippin'!" And when isht hits the fan (like it has) he's buggered. Not something I deal in but surely the point of cheating is for an assortment of ladies. All his ones look the same; blonde, no breast nor batty. Rachel Uchitel bawlin at the scene of 9/11 where her man (fiancee/boyfriend/husband) died The chick whose sold his voicemail on and can be heard above The wifey (why cheat on her with the ones above I'll never kno

Remember When Riddims Were King

Before you read, thank you for your interest and hope you enjoy. I actually fleshed it out into a book. You can get your copy from www.nolongstories.com   Now for what you came here for... When Riddims Were King 23rd May 2020 will be remembered in history for one of the most epic events in one of our universe's darkest times. We will never forget the night dancehall kings and former extremely heated rivals, Beenie Man and Bounty Killer, battled on the Verzuz platform built by hall-of-fame producers, Timbaland and Swizz Beatz. An unfiltered, 360-degree view on Jamaican dancehall events was showcased; DJ’s and dancing (Beenie Man’s daughter Desha Ravers) to deejay’s clashing on the same riddims. The latter elements provided the jewels in the night’s highlight reel, and undoubtedly the best thing to happen on the Verzuz series. Word spread like guava jelly within the dancehall community and Jamaican diaspora upon announcement. Not only was it a clash between the longest and fier