Skip to main content

RIPower Garnett Silk - 20 years today

One of Jamaica's greatest talents left earth in physical form on this day 20 years ago today aged just 28. It is reported that the fire started after a gun hit a canister in the house causing a fire. Dunno who or why the gun was fired, however, all that matters to me is he tried to rescue his mum from said fire in the house and they both died.



I was only young when he died so most of what I know about Garnett Silk are how his songs made me feel. And on that note, I'm just gonna post some of my favourite tunes.



"Lord Watch Over Shoulders"

Love this song to the heights. Spiritual reggae music is the best. "You said I must love and feed my enemies and I'm gonna do it. You said I mustn't hate or grudge and I won't not even for a minute." Real.



"Hello Mama Africa"

Probably the signature Garnett Silk song from the perspective of a London-born youth of Jamaican parentage that lived in the 90s. Despite the levels of rivalry between Africans and Jamaicans, every Jamaican loves and sings out this song as their truth.



"Kingly Character"

Dedication to Haile Selassie. One thing that's special about Garnett's music to me is the precision of his words. Straight to the point whilst still creative. Filled with hooks, simply melodies and easy to sing along like most pop music, but it has a deeply spiritual message. That's the beauty of reggae music.



"Splashing Dashing"

Once again, accessible spiritual music. "The Lord is I Shepard I shall not want. He maketh me to lie in green pastures. He leadeth me to greener pastures. He restoreth my soul," is Psalm 23. Probably isn't that surprising, but you'd never know it, nor would you call it preachy.

Which reminds me, I was in church the other day thinking "Why do I need to be here when I can listen to reggae music? They quote the best parts of the Bible anyway." Here is an example.



"Zion In a Vision"

Another wicked song - this time about heaven or Zion as Rasta's refer to it. His vocals sound really joyful and dreamy which really suits the lyrics. Sing it as you believe it and we will feel it same way.



"Place In Your Heart"

Yeah, I favour the spiritual side, but you can't leave out the empress them cah king and queen born same time. So with that said, this tune here is a quintessential Jamaican love song. Straight ballad set with a digital reggae riddim fit for the dancehall.



"Complaint" with Buju Banton

Boom combination tune with gargamel Buju Banton from one of the greatest albums of all time, Til Shiloh. Supposedly inspired by overhearing two Rasta's having a disagreement on how to praise HIM. One thing that shines through on all of his songs are his pure and beautiful outlook on life.



"Mama"

Last one, this one has so much more relevance if the story of him going to save his mother in the fire are true. Either way, they both died in the fire, so they both left earth same time. Look at how the people are touched by his words. Looks like a scene from your local pentecostal church.

"Mama, you can depend on me now. Cos I've seen you've tried your best. Now it's up to me to do the rest."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marvin Sparks x Raekwon interview

Wu-Tang's in-house "Chef" better known as Raekwon proved he is still a force to be mentioned alongside the hottest rappers in the hip hop game with the release of Only Built For Cuban Linx... pt. II - sequel to his 1995 debut album. Marvin Sparks caught up with the hip hop legend to discuss rapping for drug dealers, people caring "more about stats than raps", his inclusion in MTV's Top 10 Hottest Rappers list, and converting to Islam. Marvin Sparks: It has been almost fifteen years since the first Only Built For Cuban Linx, an album that was a 5-mic classic when The Source magazine held weight. Why did you decide make a sequel?

Why Cheetah Woods, whhyyyy?!?!?!

We must all know about the predator nyamin woman (no bowcat reference intended - or am I lying? *shudders*). Anyone heard the voicemail he left for the girl he's been PARrin (there was a golf reference there) his wife with? Easy now my selekta as we rinse some tunes for di one name Tiger. Man like him doesn't know how to play. (By The Endz not Ruff Sqwad) How you gonna leave a voicemail for a girl with your real name at the beginning? Do you want to be held to ransom? Man from 'the ends' know (in the words of Kano) "That's slippin'!" And when isht hits the fan (like it has) he's buggered. Not something I deal in but surely the point of cheating is for an assortment of ladies. All his ones look the same; blonde, no breast nor batty. Rachel Uchitel bawlin at the scene of 9/11 where her man (fiancee/boyfriend/husband) died The chick whose sold his voicemail on and can be heard above The wifey (why cheat on her with the ones above I'll never kno

Remember When Riddims Were King

Before you read, thank you for your interest and hope you enjoy. I actually fleshed it out into a book. You can get your copy from www.nolongstories.com   Now for what you came here for... When Riddims Were King 23rd May 2020 will be remembered in history for one of the most epic events in one of our universe's darkest times. We will never forget the night dancehall kings and former extremely heated rivals, Beenie Man and Bounty Killer, battled on the Verzuz platform built by hall-of-fame producers, Timbaland and Swizz Beatz. An unfiltered, 360-degree view on Jamaican dancehall events was showcased; DJ’s and dancing (Beenie Man’s daughter Desha Ravers) to deejay’s clashing on the same riddims. The latter elements provided the jewels in the night’s highlight reel, and undoubtedly the best thing to happen on the Verzuz series. Word spread like guava jelly within the dancehall community and Jamaican diaspora upon announcement. Not only was it a clash between the longest and fier