Skip to main content

MOBOs dropped Jah Cure from nominations/Letter to Kanya

Just in

"Reggae artist Jah Cure has had his Mobo nomination for best reggae act withdrawn, after organisers found out he was a convicted rapist.

The 33-year-old was given a prison sentence in 1999 for a gunpoint assault in Jamaica.

Jah Cure, whose real name is Siccature Alcock, was released in 2007.

Mobo organisers said they made the decision after finding about about the "severity of the crime" ahead of the ceremony in Glasgow in October.

The move leaves just four remaining nominees in the best reggae act category - Damian Marley & Nas, Alborosie, Khago and Mavado.

It's not the first time a reggae act has been dropped from the awards.

In 2004 Vybz Kartel and Elephant Man were both removed from the category after they refused to apologise for homophobic lyrics.

Jason Derulo and Alesha Dixon will host this year's ceremony, which recognises music of black origin such as R&B, jazz and hip hop.

The Mobos, now in their 16th year, take place in Glasgow on 5 October"

Source

Dear Kanya King,

Why drop Jah Cure for a crime he served almost a decade of his life in prison for? They say "Do the crime, do the time," he did the time and still can't get a break? If he's 33 now, that means he was 21 when convicted. Almost a third of that for this crime. If I recall correctly, the witness that helped convict him said she recognised his voice. No other real evidence was there to support him committing the crime, but hey, he got on with is and served about 8 years in prison for it either way. Can't a man get on with his life? He isn't a serial rapist or anything. This isn't to belittle what he allegedly did, but I really don't get dropping him. If you didn't know about the crime beforehand, you are as withdrawn from music as previously thought. If you did, but have bowed to outside pressure to drop him, you are as weak as previously thought.

And why does this only ever happen to reggae artists? I can understand why you buckled under pressure last time, but this time? Nah. I never see MOBOs ban any US artists for encouraging gun violence. If 50 Cent turned around and wanted to perform a medley of hits, they'd bend over backwards to let him in. Or Eminem, who regularly takes the mickey out of gays. The way the red carpet would roll out for him.

This right here sums up the MOBO's. They couldn't care less about real Music Of Black Origin. They much prefer to celebrate black people making pop music and already in the charts over shining a light on those who aren't recognised as MOBO set out to do all them years ago. Give a damn if the Brits award them, charts and sales prove these people are big.

Which is another thing, MOBO's don't really care about UK music either. Champion it all you want for the moment, MOBO's didn't really care until they couldn't get US acts and then UK started doing better. Remember when Sway got Best Hip Hop over Game and 50 Cent? Oh, how we laughed. It's just for the benefit of a few really. I couldn't tell you who owns the other awards shows. Wonder why...

It won't make a dent on your viewing figures, because real people that care about real music don't care about the MOBO's anyway, hence the awards is in Glasgow (no disrespect to the Glaswegian's but even you know it's true). You've got Jason Derulo, an upstanding icon in the music world for making, well, um, we'll say "rural" music hosting it. We know MOBO's don't care about black people, really, you've just lead us on for a while. Don't worry about it though. Have fun with your awards show. It has been said that the show is as tired as the special occasion wig you roll out annually that people poke fun at whilst you make you drunk speeches (you can read that in the TweetView from last year's award show), but that's so immature and will take away from the point. Plus, I'm not that childish.

Regards,

Marvin Sparks

p.s. this song is quite appropriate for this occasion I think.

"Impossible to see the changes that I've made in my life
All they see is just the boy I left behind
Cos I swear I can be a better man
I swear, if only you could understand
The faith in me shall set me free, relfection"




Finally, I think I'll quote the interview I did with Jah Cure in about '09. Quite suitable

Marvin Sparks: You’ve always maintained your innocence over what you went to jail for, will you battle for your name to be cleared?
Jah Cure:
I don’t want to get myself killed because this thing is bigger than how people see it on the outside. I’m the one who knows what happened. I don’t want to stir up the thing and make it bad for both of us - because at the end people are going to be on my side and I don’t want to start a rebellion that causes conflict. We have to understand that. Its split; there are some people on one side and some on the other side and there isn’t any joke about it. If I insist to...

My name will be cleared to the most high. My actions will speak for me futuristically; He will know who I am and He will see who I am. My lifestyle, my livity, my words and my work will prove me to that day. I have nothing to prove to man because the almighty know my deeds.

The arms of law has failed me, so I don’t need not to go through any system. I don’t like courthouse, I hate courthouse and all these things, so I will take the end of my stick. At the end of the day, the world will know who is Cure after all. Jah is the one, at the end of the day, who gives justice. Man doesn’t give justice. Remember, man failed to give me justice before so there is never a time I’m going to have my freedom and let any man fail me the way he failed me before. Jah never fails me, man fails. Now I have Jah to deal with the rest.

Click here to read the rest

Bashy wasn't brave enough to keep the song up on YouTube, but I'll quote him "Fuck da MOBO's"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marvin Sparks x Raekwon interview

Wu-Tang's in-house "Chef" better known as Raekwon proved he is still a force to be mentioned alongside the hottest rappers in the hip hop game with the release of Only Built For Cuban Linx... pt. II - sequel to his 1995 debut album. Marvin Sparks caught up with the hip hop legend to discuss rapping for drug dealers, people caring "more about stats than raps", his inclusion in MTV's Top 10 Hottest Rappers list, and converting to Islam. Marvin Sparks: It has been almost fifteen years since the first Only Built For Cuban Linx, an album that was a 5-mic classic when The Source magazine held weight. Why did you decide make a sequel?

Why Cheetah Woods, whhyyyy?!?!?!

We must all know about the predator nyamin woman (no bowcat reference intended - or am I lying? *shudders*). Anyone heard the voicemail he left for the girl he's been PARrin (there was a golf reference there) his wife with? Easy now my selekta as we rinse some tunes for di one name Tiger. Man like him doesn't know how to play. (By The Endz not Ruff Sqwad) How you gonna leave a voicemail for a girl with your real name at the beginning? Do you want to be held to ransom? Man from 'the ends' know (in the words of Kano) "That's slippin'!" And when isht hits the fan (like it has) he's buggered. Not something I deal in but surely the point of cheating is for an assortment of ladies. All his ones look the same; blonde, no breast nor batty. Rachel Uchitel bawlin at the scene of 9/11 where her man (fiancee/boyfriend/husband) died The chick whose sold his voicemail on and can be heard above The wifey (why cheat on her with the ones above I'll never kno

Remember When Riddims Were King

Before you read, thank you for your interest and hope you enjoy. I actually fleshed it out into a book. You can get your copy from www.nolongstories.com   Now for what you came here for... When Riddims Were King 23rd May 2020 will be remembered in history for one of the most epic events in one of our universe's darkest times. We will never forget the night dancehall kings and former extremely heated rivals, Beenie Man and Bounty Killer, battled on the Verzuz platform built by hall-of-fame producers, Timbaland and Swizz Beatz. An unfiltered, 360-degree view on Jamaican dancehall events was showcased; DJ’s and dancing (Beenie Man’s daughter Desha Ravers) to deejay’s clashing on the same riddims. The latter elements provided the jewels in the night’s highlight reel, and undoubtedly the best thing to happen on the Verzuz series. Word spread like guava jelly within the dancehall community and Jamaican diaspora upon announcement. Not only was it a clash between the longest and fier