Skip to main content

Thursday Things

Scorcher 'Terms of Agreement'

Got this through an email. But I'll still give you my honest opinion (unlike other blogs). Not my cuppa tea. Should work for them Oceana types. Said it before and I'll say it again, I think Scorcher should concentrate on making songs for girls. That isn't to say he isn't a very good MC.

Is that a sample of Estelle's 'Freak' in there.



He kills the freestyle on the end of this with deep bars so I'm not saying he is a one-trick pony by any stretch of the imagination (Don't flick out the Skywalker on me bruv)



Mr. G 'Swaggerific'

Another track/video sent through email. I love both riddims featured on here. One Day (the first) was probably riddim of the summer when I was in Jamaica. If you know it, you'll know it for 'Drinking Rum (and Red Bull)' by Future Fambo and Beenie Man or Khago's anthem 'Nah Sell Out'. 'Swaggerific' always snuck in on the juggling. However, Split Personality has been my favourite riddim for over a month now. Crazy riddim. And you know my ears. "Me and others hear the same songs but don't hear the same songs" if you catch my drift...



R. Kelly 'Love Letter'

Spotted over at ThatGrapeJuice. Yo, Kells is going in hard with the mature songs. What they call it? Adult Contemporary? Or is it Adult R&B? Anyway it's for the mums. I always felt like he should have stayed in the lane he was headed with Chocolate Factory followed by Happy People/U Saved Me. Problem is radio programmers didn't so he reverted on some formulaic childish r&b no one cared for because Trey Songz is better (image wise). R. Kelly is that demographics uncle. We know about Kells' "alleged" track record...

Listen quality tune.



Quote of the day: Rihanna

"'Man Down' is gangsta! It comes from me trying to achieve that [vibe]," she told MTV News. "I'm super inspired by reggae music [and it] has been a part of me since I was born, and I grew up listening to it. I grew up loving it. My favorite artists are all reggae artists."

Nice to hear babes. Now get on to working with our artists. (I say our because although I listen to and feel most types, iRep Reggae/Dancehall)

Foxy Brown jumps on Hold You

Yes, you read corretly. The original Trini-that-utilises-the-Jamaican-accent Foxy Brown (Nicki Minaj being the other) has caught Hold You fever. But she also throws a shot at Nicki Minaj ("bad gyal we nuh wear pink hair").Hold tight Seani B dropping drops all over the gaff. He fully got this out there.



Rick Ross flattens London with BMF

I really couldn't be arsed to go just for the one song. Seen him twice already, he disappointed me the second time because he didn't perform many songs from Deeper Than Rap and showed too much love to his dread man dem (Gunplay and one next yout') from his crew. Can't even remember their name. Oh yeah, Triple C's (Carol City Cartel). I could have deleted me writing I couldn't remember their name but I won't. Plus, he's a fake.

But BMF is a futhamuckin CLASSIC!!! I tweeted that it's one of the greatest hip hop tracks ever. That isn't to say it's in the top 20 or top 40 ever, just saying it is a great hip hop record. I see it as the 21st Century equivalent to Black Rob's Whoa! Wish I witnessed the demolition job. And I never miss the big concerts.



Either way Damian Marley & NaS concert is already concert of the year so it doesn't matter.

Wha' gwaan for the mural on Bank$ back? jacked from Hip Hop DX

This is pathetic no?



This tattoo hype has really gone too far. Remember we used to cuss those bikers with loads of tattoo's? Now people there marking up their skin. I'm sounding like my parents but I don't care. Before you commission someone to do a painting of it for you? That's what I would do. But hey, if you got the money and feel you wanna, I can't dispute it. Just saying I don't see the point.

Lethal Bizzle Pow 2011

So it dropped yesterday.



Will it go to number 1? The original still holds the title for highest chart entry for a grime single ever. Think it reached #14 (that or #11) in 2005.

Don't get it twisted, it isn't a bad song - at all. However, it's like So Solid re-doing 21 Seconds or Klashnekoff thinking he can re-do Murda with a similar beat. Some things are better left untouched.

With that said Wiley, JME and 2Face have reload bars. Kano, Chippy and Ghetts are too technical for me. Chippy's "Throw 10 bags at a hater" line is good though. Original Pow had characters and less "swag". They may not have been the most gifted lyrically but all had enthusiastic delivery forcing you to raise your gunfingers.

Here's Lethal informing us why certain heads weren't on there, why Maxsta and Sway were removed. Would like to know why he went for a beat so similar to the original.



I say Blacks, Kozzie, P-Money, Tempz, Maxsta and grab a few more get Spooky to produce them something

Random Tune of the Day: Edwyn Collins 'A Girl Like You'

Speshul dedicayshun to all the beautiful girls out there that I've met, yet to meet or will never meet. Hoping this song doesn't have a different undertone like You're Gorgeous posted yesterday. The bassline is hypnotizing. Heard this for the first time in a long I was vybzing to this on the TV



Shy FX Feat Kano, Donae’o & Roses Gabor – ‘Raver’ (Breakage Pattern Moschino Remix)

Jacked from PinBoard.Woi oi!!! Good old jungle inna this! This is flippin ard! Taking the essence of foundation dub with the sampling and echoes.

03 Raver feat. Kano, Donae'o & Roses Gabor (Breakage Pattern Moschino Remix) www.pinboardblog.com by PinBoardBlog.com

Throwback Tune of the Day: Shy FX featuring UK Apache 'Original Nutta'

You know how I know these were good times? An Asian boy put on a yard man (Jamaican) accent and we never cared. That's how it should be. If a next man pays homage in that way, be happy. It's a compliment. I don't need to say anything else other than "Jungle > D&B" and "Just. Press. Play"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marvin Sparks x Raekwon interview

Wu-Tang's in-house "Chef" better known as Raekwon proved he is still a force to be mentioned alongside the hottest rappers in the hip hop game with the release of Only Built For Cuban Linx... pt. II - sequel to his 1995 debut album. Marvin Sparks caught up with the hip hop legend to discuss rapping for drug dealers, people caring "more about stats than raps", his inclusion in MTV's Top 10 Hottest Rappers list, and converting to Islam. Marvin Sparks: It has been almost fifteen years since the first Only Built For Cuban Linx, an album that was a 5-mic classic when The Source magazine held weight. Why did you decide make a sequel?

Why Cheetah Woods, whhyyyy?!?!?!

We must all know about the predator nyamin woman (no bowcat reference intended - or am I lying? *shudders*). Anyone heard the voicemail he left for the girl he's been PARrin (there was a golf reference there) his wife with? Easy now my selekta as we rinse some tunes for di one name Tiger. Man like him doesn't know how to play. (By The Endz not Ruff Sqwad) How you gonna leave a voicemail for a girl with your real name at the beginning? Do you want to be held to ransom? Man from 'the ends' know (in the words of Kano) "That's slippin'!" And when isht hits the fan (like it has) he's buggered. Not something I deal in but surely the point of cheating is for an assortment of ladies. All his ones look the same; blonde, no breast nor batty. Rachel Uchitel bawlin at the scene of 9/11 where her man (fiancee/boyfriend/husband) died The chick whose sold his voicemail on and can be heard above The wifey (why cheat on her with the ones above I'll never kno

Remember When Riddims Were King

Before you read, thank you for your interest and hope you enjoy. I actually fleshed it out into a book. You can get your copy from www.nolongstories.com   Now for what you came here for... When Riddims Were King 23rd May 2020 will be remembered in history for one of the most epic events in one of our universe's darkest times. We will never forget the night dancehall kings and former extremely heated rivals, Beenie Man and Bounty Killer, battled on the Verzuz platform built by hall-of-fame producers, Timbaland and Swizz Beatz. An unfiltered, 360-degree view on Jamaican dancehall events was showcased; DJ’s and dancing (Beenie Man’s daughter Desha Ravers) to deejay’s clashing on the same riddims. The latter elements provided the jewels in the night’s highlight reel, and undoubtedly the best thing to happen on the Verzuz series. Word spread like guava jelly within the dancehall community and Jamaican diaspora upon announcement. Not only was it a clash between the longest and fier